Going through Hell Realms is so much easier when you have good food to accompany you! One of the participants at our day-long retreat brought this cake along. Luckily, mindful consumption was not on the practice agenda that day. I had three pieces… well… a sliver and THEN two pieces.
Moist Chocolate Cake
No one will believe this chocolate cake is made with cooked quinoa; no flour required.
This recipe is kid-friendly, gluten-free and vegetarian. (Has nothing to do with nourishment for the soul!)
– 2/3 cup (160 mL) white or golden quinoa
– 1 2/3 cups (330 mL) water
– 1/3 cup (80 mL) milk
– 4 large eggs
– 1 teaspoon (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
– 3/4 cup (185 mL) butter, melted and cooled
– 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) white or cane sugar
– 1 cup (250 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1 1/2 teaspoon (7.5 mL) baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) baking soda
– 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) salt
1. Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave the covered saucepan on the burner for another 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow the quinoa to cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C). Lightly grease two 8-inch (20-cm) round or square cake pans. Line the pans with parchment paper.
3. Combine the milk, eggs and vanilla in a blender or food processor. Add 2 cups (500 mL) of cooked quinoa and the butter and continue to blend until smooth.
4. Whisk together the sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Add the contents of the blender and mix well. Divide the batter evenly between the 2 pans and bake on the centre oven rack for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and cool completely in the pan before serving.
Frost if desired. (No. Really?)
5. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month. (In this family?)
Per serving: 279 calories, 35.7 g carbohydrates, 260 mg sodium, 8.5 g saturated fat (Without frosting… in case you thought you could fool yourself!)
Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/health/Quinoa+minute+superfood/3075667/story.html#ixzz0qHok5mfD